Sunday, October 28, 2018

Choose the Hotdog that Makes Everyone Love Me or the Hotdog that Loves Everyone?

" I am stuck on band-aid brand 'cause band-aid's stuck on me"- "I wish I was an Oscar Meyer Wiener- that is what I'd really like to be- after all everyone would be in love with me"....."fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks- tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox- love Armour hot dogs"; well now that is awkward....do I love them both? You bet- for different reasons, after-all they taste completely different. 

  • What's my point? Brands matter, they resonate with us and if you are a "boomer" like me- you grew up watching TV so you can sing all of these jingles and more! The Armour commercial would never have made it to air in 2018 with the lyrics. Is it better to be loved with your hotdog selection or select the hotdog that offers to love me regardless- for me it's just a hotdog; I've eaten both!
  • What is the importance of a retail brand over the generic equivalent? I admit it. I will purchase a generic in the grocery store over a name brand about 95% of the time. However there are some that don't come close. Cheerios for example, only the brand name will do.  Food is a commodity item, but when I am making a more major purchase- like a TV; I look for name brands and research my choices. 
Recently I took a webinar, with Melissa Ralston of Bic Graphic- for PPAI, related to buying habits and brands- a few of the interesting stat's:
 Millennial's represent 1.7 billion of consumer purchases, by 2020 Gen Z will represent 40% of consumer purchase decisions and Baby Boomers represent the highest proportion of disposable income- so who's the most brand loyal?

Who loves brand more? 
Apparently it crosses all demographics and influences all consumer groups, but the reasons vary.







 

Are there some common reasons?
What are the factors that make products from well-known brands so successful in the promotional products market? 
  • Consumers feel comfortable with the quality, durability and reliability of brand name products.
  •  The larger the brand, the more assurance you have as a consumer that the company has tested, re-tested and adhered to safety & compliance standards.
  • There are businesses and organization that want to be associated with the quality of a brand- offering the recipient of their branded products higher received value and brand elevation to the product selection.
Are you a brand enthusiast? Which ones are your favorite?

Continue to learn more in our November newsletter!

No comments:

Post a Comment